Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Ride to KTC.


I left my house in Berwick Maine this morning and rode to the Kittery Traffic Circle. It’s a 33-mile ride that goes through South Berwick and Eliot to Kittery.
In the beginning of the ride, on Berwick road, I go down a long hill. I went 36mph down the hill, my fastest yet. Then I take a left onto Blackberry Hill Rd. This road has several long ups & downs until I take a right onto Rt. 4. There’s one last hill before I get to Rt. 236.
Rt. 236 ends at the Kittery Traffic Circle. It’s very long and flat, with several small hills.
Just before the circle, I start to sprint.
I go around the KTC hitting 20mph. Once out of the Circle, I head back.
Once I get past the on ramps to Rt. 95 and Rt. 1, I take a break.
While still riding, I ate a Trail Mix bar and drank Gatorade.
The trip back is harder. Most of 236 has a subtle incline. Once off of Rt. 236, I have to go up the several big hills I went down earlier.
The hardest hill is on Berwick road, just before I get home. It’s a long incline and gets steeper at the end.
When I’m at the top, I coast down to my driveway, which is another hill.
This ride took me just under 2 hours and I did it 15 minutes faster than a few weeks ago.
The ride to KTC is a new part of my training. On Saturday mornings, I ride a 16-mile ride on my road bike, and then in the afternoon I do a 10-mile mountain bike ride, half on the road and half on a trail.
I’m hoping to join some of my friends and does a Century ride in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. The 100-mile ride starts and ends at Lincoln Woods off of the Kancamagus Highway.

No comments: