Friday, July 4, 2008

7/3/08 Parker Mtn. backpack


After coming home from work, I grabbed my backpack and headed to Parker Mountain, Strafford, NH. Shortly after starting up the Carter Smith Tr., I started to look for a camp site. Halfway up the steep, eroded trail, I looked to the left and saw a small clearing. I checked it out and it was too small. I continued to look around the area and I saw a perfect spot. It was about 10' from a rocky ledge with a good view.
When setting up the tent and fly, I couldn't get a few stakes in. Oh well.
After the tent was up, I made dinner. I found a spot about 20' from the tent.
Just before I finished eating, it started to rain. I put on my rain gear and finished dinner. I cleaned up my mess, then hung my food bag.
I needed to get water so I grabbed my water filter and 2 1-liter water bottles, then I put it all in a Marker Basket bag.
I knew where there was a stream so I headed up the Carter Smith Tr., then down the Link Tr. I went all the way down the Link Tr. and didn't find the stream.
I remembered that the stream crossed the Mooers Loop Tr. so I took a left at the end of the Link Tr. When I found the stream, there was no stream, just a few puddles. The water was flowing slowly so I knew it was safe to filter.
After I filled the liter bottles, I headed back to camp. It was a pain carrying 2 1-liter bottles in a Market Basket bag. Next time I'll bring my pack.
Halfway up the Link Tr., the sun came out.
When I made it back to camp, I wanted some Pistachio's out of the food bag. When I pulled the bag over the branch, it came down and hit a boulder and cracked my coffee cup. Oh No! I will not do that again.
I got into my tent and changed. I hung my wet clothes on a few clothes lines I put inside the tent. Hopefully they will be dry by morning.
I woke up at 10:30pm and I had to use the bathroom. Shortly after getting back in the tent, I heard voices. Some guys and girls were heading down the trail, talking up a storm. After that, I could not get back to sleep.
By 12am, I decided to head down. I couldn't fall back asleep and I was all tensed up.
I broke down camp and headed down the foggy CS Tr.
I got back to my truck with no problem and headed back home.
I felt defeated.
After waking up on the couch, I tried to figure out what went wrong.
Is it too peaceful out in the mountains? Do I need daily stress to sleep?
After reviewing the evening, I realized that when I can't sleep, I should do something (multi task). I should eat if I'm hungry and read if I can't sleep.
Hopefully it will be different when I attempt 6 Hundred Highest peaks in Vermont in 5 days.
to see the pictures.

No comments: