Thursday, July 30, 2009

The York Day 5K

7/26/09
This morning I did my first race. It was the York Day 5K. We left the house at 6:30am to get to York High School early.
When we got there, we went inside the school to register. My number was 536. I got my number and timing chip.
Around 7:30am I did a 15 minute warm-up run. It felt good.
I saw Jenifer and the kids when I got back. Then I had to rush over to the start line.
There were a lot of people at the start line. It took me a while but I made it to the back.
While I was waiting to start, it started to rain.
Soon the gun went off and we started the race.
I was nervous since it was my first race. I was surprised how easy it was running in a group.
I kept a consistent pace. I tried to drink water at the 1 mile marker but I spilled 1/2 of it and had a sip and some went up my nose.
I picked up some speed at the last right hand turn towards the finish line. 1/2 way to the finish, I sprinted. While sprinting to the line, someone said "Farmer Bob!". I lifted up my arms then crossed the finish line.
After crossing the finish line, the commentator said "Here are the people who finished under 29 minutes.
I grabbed a piece of watermelon and found Jenifer, Ryan and Krista.
They posted the preliminary times and if I read it right, I was 71/97 and ran it at 27:13.
This was an excellent race and I can't wait for the next one.

No comments: