Sunday, July 3, 2011

7/2/11 Parker Mountain Backpack



7/2/11

I got to the trailhead for the Carter Smith Tr. around 2pm. I put on my heavy backpack and started to head up Parker Mountain.

The trail starts off easy, then becomes steep and eroded. It took a little while to get use to carrying a heavy pack again.

Heading up the trail, I saw the downed tree that points to a lookout. From the lookout I could see Blue Job Mountain. At the lookout there was a cross with plastic ivy on it. I wondered if someone got hurt.

After leaving the lookout, I started to climb again. Soon I saw the faded path on the left that leads to my campsite from last year.

I set up my tent and checked out the views. I could see Blue Job again.

I grabbed my pack and continued towards the summit.

After some more climbing, it levelled off. Then I was at a clearing with great views. I could see the smoke stacks in Newington but it wasn't clear enough to see the Atlantic Ocean.

I found a few wild blueberries, Yum!

There were a few more ups and downs before I reached the summit cairn on Parker Mountain.

I took my pack off and took a break. After some GORP, I headed back down.

When I got back to the tent, I filled my Therm a rest and organinzed inside the tent.

I found a flat rock a little ways from my tent. This will be my kitchen for this evening

I started to boil water for 4 cheese lasagna from Hamburger Helper, minus the hamburger. I added the powdered milk to the boiling water. Soon it overflowed and spilled all over the place. I put in the pasta and sauce mix and mixed it. I had to add more water so it would cook. 10 minutes later, it was done. It wasn't bad but it burned to the bottom of the pan.

After dinner, I cleaned up the kitchen. Since I couldn't find water and I didn't have enough water to clean the pan, I brought it down to my truck, since I didn't want to store it and have a bear for an after dinner guest. The truck was only a 1/2 mile away.

After I came back to the tent, I changed my clothes and hung out in the tent.

6:11pm. Hopefully it will not be a long night.

7/3/11

I had a rough night trying to sleep. I left the sleeping bag at home and I wanted to try sleeping on the Therm a rest with a pillow and blanket. I read "The Appalachian Trail Backpacker" and went out a few times to roam the area.

I read until 9pm and blew out the candle lattern.

Fireworks, motorcycles, and dogs kept me up for quite a while. I was able to sleep on and off until around 3am. Then I set my alarm for 4 to get up.

At 4am, I was up and wide awake.

I organized inside the tent, then went out and started up the stove. As the water started to boil for my oatmeal and java, my headlamp died. I went into the tent and got my candle lattern.

From the ridge where I camped, the views were to the east. The sun was rising as I put my tent into its stuff sack.

I loaded up my backpack and headed down.

5:30am. Cool! I can go home and make pancakes!

This was an excellent warm-up backpacking trip. I learned a few things to do and not to do for next time, Vermont!







No comments: